23 June 2008

Carry a memory stick at all times

A really easy win in the "Paperless office" stakes is a memory stick. I'm still amazed how few people carry one as a matter of course. Ever since I moved full-time into the IT industry in 1990, I have never gone too long without meeting someone asking me some sort of IT technical query about their PC - just as soon as they discover I work in IT (and particularly in Customer Support!), they latch onto it. Even though I am really proud of what I do, I try hard now to avoid telling people I am meeting for the first time. That said, my memory stick has got me out of a few holes in the past - both being able to carry useful files with me, and also to take copies of files back home to analyse further and advise on later. I still get away with a 2GB memory stick similar to the one in this photo here - although this is an 8GB model which is about the standard capacity these days - expect to pay about £15 in the UK for this. The thing I particularly like about this design is that it is very slim - some of the chunkier designs are awkward to use when you have something else in the adjacent USB socket. However, it isn't the most robust of memory sticks - you balance the survivability against the practicality.