22 June 2008

How technology helps my children

In his speech at our wedding 15 years ago, my father admitted he did not know me before I was five - and it wasn't because he travelled with his job. His business was less than a mile from home and he just stereotyped my mum into the stay-at-home wife who had his dinner on the table when he got home, and looked after the children. Just recently he admitted that he really had no influence on my development and he left her to do it. I've always admired the focus and commitment he gave his business, but it mades me cringe and I'm shaking my head in staggered disbelief even now how little he cared about me through my formative years.

So technology helps me work from home, and opens up all sorts of opportunities. The most important of these is that I get to spend more time with my wife and children due to zero commute time. In term time, I share the school runs pretty equally with my wife, and any day I can be kicking a ball about or helping them with homework the same minute I log off. And I want to, too.

No-one ever puts on their gravestone "I wish I had spent more time in the office", and if technology helps me get the work/family balance right, then it's got to be a good thing.