20 June 2008

Internet Telephony


As with many new technologies, it takes some time for them to settle down and be viable, and Internet Telephony is just one such area. Yes, Skype has been around for a while, and we've heard about VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) but very few are sure what it means. (Wikipedia definition here, should you have a minute!)

I am uncharacteristically late on the bandwagon on this one, but just recently I went over to VOIP with my employers and have been stunned by how good it is. So much so, I then signed up for Skype on my home PC and made my first call across London to a friend of mine (he had his webcam pointing the wrong direction, so I could see his shoulder but not his face, but don't tell him!).

I'm going to spend some more time investigating this, and possibly buying a hands-free phone which would work off my WiFi network. All sorts of possibilities here - BT and O2, you're going to have to fight more for my business!