24 June 2008

How I cut down my fuel costs using the web

Everyone knows that fuel prices are climbing steeply and that there's no reduction in sight. Many people like me in the UK use the PetrolPrices.com website to check out where to find the least expensive fuel in their area, and that's certainly a good start. This site is powered by fuel card data, and uploaded every day or so - hence they can tell the selling price per litre at practically every filling station in the UK.

However, I went one stage further. Having been approved to work full-time from home, we (family of four with two children aged 8 and 11) did not need two cars any more. Given that I have a leased car, it had to be my wife's BMW 120d which was for the chop - approaching three years old, it was soon due its first MoT and the insurance renewal was looming. I'm realy not into all this AutoTrader lark, waiting in for tyre-kickers to check out your car, although it probably might have realised a slightly higher figure had I persevered - but what value is my time?

So I went to my local BMW garage and they gave me a price to buy it in, which was OK but not spectacular - buyers market, I decided. Two weeks later I made contact again and they withdrew the offer because a stop had been placed on buying in cars as they had sufficient stock. Then I heard a radio ad for WeWillBuyYourCar.com and I thought I'd check them out online - I found a few negative comments but generally the consensus was positive and I gave them a try. One Monday evening I logged all the details of the car on their website and their system quoted me a nice price, better than the BMW place. Good start. So I clicked some "let's go for it" button and the next day had a phone call from them as they promised. Three days later a guy arrived by train from Hull, and was with us about two hours in all - checked all the service history and other paperwork and went over the car with a fine-toothed comb. Price got adjusted slightly due to a couple of supermarket car park dings, but I agreed a price and then we called the WeWillBuyYourCar.com office for me to say "go ahead" (I could have pulled out up to that point). 15 minutes later I checked my bank account online to find the money transferred, so I then handed over the keys and said goodbye. Easy peasy!

And as fuel prices continue to go up, we're laughing!