08 November 2008

Save time - use a kiosk

Kiosk technology is coming at us from all directions, and it's another great time-saving use of technology. I went to Argos the other day to get a new mouse - my corporate purchasing department cannot supply a replacement mouse to a home-worker like me inside three weeks, so it seemed sensible to pop across to the shop (5 mins walk) and buy a spare one for myself. All my current spares were old little round socket ones, not USB :-(

So, you walk into Argos and you check out the massive catalogue first until you find your number, pop that into the stock checker to confirm they have the item, technology in itself. Then wander over to the kiosk, tap your item number and quantity in, check out, put your credit card in and the order is none. No contact with Miss Stroppalot behind the till any more.

Then Friday I went to the doctors (routine weight management advice, nothing more!) and there you not only book your appointments over the net, but you check in for your appointment using a kiosk - similar to the one in the photo. Brilliant and dead easy. No more contact with Hyacinth Bouquet behind the glass - yippee!

Over at the airport, lots more kiosks for saving you time checking in. Why queue ever again? I urge you - USE KIOSKS.